Types of Treatment
Tempromandibular Disorder (TMD) is made up of symptoms that involve the jaw and surrounding facial muscles, teeth, ears, and neck.
Common symptoms include:
- TMJ pain (pain in the joint)
- Face or jaw pain
- Ear pain
- Ringing in the ears
- Joint sounds (popping, clicking, or grinding)
- Muscle pain and/or tenderness
- Limited mouth opening or closing, or sideward movements
- Neck Pain
Note: a person may have one or more of these conditions at the same time.
Treatment will usually consist of a combination of exercise, manipulation, mobilization, stretching, heat, and electric stimulation.
Common causes of TMD:
- Myofascial pain – The most common form of TMD; discomfort or pain in the muscles that control jaw function and the neck and shoulder muscles.
- Internal derangement of the joint – a dislocated jaw or displaced disc, or injury to the condyle.
- Degenerative joint disease – such as osteoporosis or rheumatoid arthritis in the jaw joint.
A few weeks of commitment can mean a future free from pain. What's holding you back?
Here’s what some of our patients had to say
After just 4 visits…I feel like a brand new person. Before, I could barely walk for 15 minutes without my back screaming in pain. Now I’m zooming through therapy and going on walks at home.
Wonderful staff, very helpful, competent and professional. They listen to what I say and are working with me to meet my goal.
Amazing service. They have gone out of their way to call and follow up with me while doing my at-home exercises. Highly recommend.
My husband was skeptical of my choice to use physical therapy to treat my back pain instead of medications. After seeing my results from working with the ProRehab team, my husband is a believer now too.
I couldn’t have wished for a better place to go for my knee replacement therapy! They know what they are doing to get you back in the swing of things so you can go on with your life!